Saturday 10 November 2012

Today I worked on creating my characters head this was just as hard as I expected and took a few attempts before I was happy with my model. Here are some images of my first attempt.






As you can see the edge flow was terrible as I began working from a sphere. Due to the poor edge flow I was forced to "Smooth" early which lead to slow modeling and poor structure.

After I reflected on this head I decided to try again and look up a few tutorials on modeling heads. I found a really good tutorial on Youtube, guiding me on how to create the model from a single plane and then extruding it around in order to create more appropriate facial edge loops.

After using the tutorial as guidance and my new head design I was able to create a much better head model, below are some screen shots of my character.





Next I followed a tutorial from the same Youtube user on how to create ears in Maya I then created my own ears using the tutorial as guidance and copy pasted these ears on to my model.





The final thing to do was import the head in to my character file and then add the textures and UV maps to match my character. It was at this stage I decided to give my character only one head. I decided this because of the ratios involved between my characters shoulders and how its armor effects it. It simply looked more appealing with a single head. If I where to do it again or I two heads was a restriction I would increase the size of the body to make two heads fit. But a single head looks just as good in my opinion.


Next I will create a teeth texture by unfolding the teeth object in my character, I will also create an eye texture.

Here are some links to the tutorials that helped me create my character.

Head tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xls25e08sSg

Ear tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcYrUHRIqsE&feature=channel&list=UL

No comments:

Post a Comment