Sunday 25 November 2012

Today I followed a tutorial on how to make some realistic eyes. I began searching for tutorials on how to apply circular textures to spheres but while searching a found a good tutorial on how to make a more than reasonable effect all within Maya. I will add a link to the tutorial at the bottom of this post.



I chose a more Orc like color and also deformed the shape of it slightly in order to let it fit correctly in the shape of my Orcs head.

The tutorial showed me how to create the eye in Nurbs so once I had finished it I converted the shape into polygons. By doing this it subdivided the shape a lot more that I wanted it too, but I suppose it is required to make to make a smooth shape with polygons. In order to save on the poly count I then decided to go inside my Orcs head and remove some of the non visible polygons on the back of the eye. While I did this I was also careful to leave a few polygons behind around the edges, just in case I decide to animate the characters eyes later.









Now my characters eyes are complete and I'm happy with them. However there is one small thing I would change about them if I had more time.


If you view my characters face from the side I think there may be a little too much white part of the eye visible due to the shape of my characters face. This will not be so much of a problem for my final render and is an arguable issue. However if I had more time I would add some eye lids around my characters eyes to help control how much of the white section can be seen.




Here is a link to the tutorial I followed in order to create my characters eyes:
http://www.spafi.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=449&Itemid=29&lang=iso-8859-1

No comments:

Post a Comment